Amid the unpredictable weather, controlling your home’s indoor temperature can keep you comfortable and warm regardless of how unbearable it gets outside. You can ensure your heating system remains efficient with our energy-saving thermostat settings tips. Staying warm doesn’t need high costs on your utility bills, so keep on reading.
Recommended Energy-Saving Thermostat Settings For Colder Weather
Setting your thermostat to a suggested level of 68°F to 71°F will keep you warm and comfortable during the cold months. Changing your thermostat setting while you’re away from home or if you’re asleep will lower your utility costs in the process.
On average, decreasing your temperature by 37.4°F to 42.8°F during the day time can save 5% to 15% on your electricity bill. Whether you have an electric or gas furnace, utilizing your heat only while you’re at home can save you a significant amount of money.
Using Programmable Thermostats
Programmable thermostats let you decide a schedule of your heating system’s temperature settings that take effect at different times of the day. By utilizing these different settings for weekdays and weekends, you can easily control your home’s heating while maximizing your system’s efficiency.
Here are a few strategies you can follow to take advantage of your programmable thermostat:
- Mount your programmable thermostat on interior walls that aren’t near or in areas of direct sunlight or drafts, like registers, appliances, lighting, fireplaces, and windows.
- Set your thermostat to lower temperatures while away from home or at bedtime.
- Adjust it to a constant energy-saving temperature when going on vacation.
- Change the batteries every year. Some units indicate when it should be replaced.
- Those modern programmable thermostats are electronic devices that monitor and control the temperature. Advanced models offer multiple schedules and remote control.
Optimizing Smart Thermostats
Smart thermostats offer virtual energy assessments that provide insight into your home’s energy consumption. Through the combination of the thermostat, energy data, and weather, your smart thermostat will provide recommendations on how to improve your comfort level without increasing your energy costs.
Once you upgrade to a smart thermostat, you’ll get personalized recommendations at the end of each season to help you save more energy costs than usual. Our certified technicians will install your smart thermostat correctly and teach you how to take advantage of its energy-saving settings.
At Accu-Aire, our skilled technicians will provide only the best service to keep your home furnace running efficiently and safely. Contact us today for any of your heating needs.